A little surfing around led me to the Web page of researcher Sanjay Srivastava on what he calls “The Big Five Personality Factors”. I haven’t finished reading the docs available, but at first blush it seems that he’s found five Meta-Programs that tend to go together somehow in most people:
- Extraversion (sometimes called Surgency). The broad dimension of Extraversion encompasses such more specific traits as talkative, energetic, and assertive.
- Agreeableness. This dimension includes traits like sympathetic, kind, and affectionate.
- Conscientiousness. People high in Conscientiousness tend to be organized, thorough, and planful.
- Neuroticism (sometimes reversed and called Emotional Stability). Neuroticism is characterized by traits like tense, moody, and anxious.
- Openness to Experience (sometimes called Intellect or Intellect/Imagination). This dimension includes having wide interests, and being imaginative and insightful.
I’m going to want to spend some time examining this, as I’m not certain how useful it might be to NLPers.
(Oh… the word “OCEAN” in the title refers to an acronym of the names of the “Big Five”.)
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.